Atlantic Poultry Incorporated (API) provides high quality poultry products to customers throughout NB, NS, PEI and NFLD. Our history dates to 1943 and we continue to be 100% owned by Atlantic Canadians. Our goal is to maintain a strong and locally owned poultry industry.
API is continually upgrading its operations to ensure that high standards are maintained. We are currently seeking an individual to fill the position of Grow Barn Caretaker in New Brunswick.
This individual will be responsible for performing general building and property maintenance of grow barns, both emergency/unscheduled repairs and scheduled/preventive maintenance. The maintenance person will assist with set up and or movement of equipment in barns as needed, and occasionally will be assigned to help clean or wash barns between flocks. The successful candidate must have mechanical aptitude including skills in carpentry, plumbing, mechanics, electrical, pneumatics, hydraulics, trouble shooting, etc.
The flock caretaker role includes working as part of the team ensuring the company’s animal husbandry practices are followed. Responsibilities of a flock caretaker may include feeding and watering chicks, pullets or cockerels; monitoring and regulating ventilation and temperature; ensuring water quality and supply; monitoring feed levels and handling live or deceased birds. He/she will maintain accurate daily records of feed and water consumption, mortality rates and other relevant information as well as ensuring clean and well maintained buildings, equipment and grounds.
The individual must be able to work flexible hours including some holidays and weekends and be available to answer on-call alarms.
The following are some of the qualifications and skills for this position:
· Respect for animals and an appreciation for animal welfare
· An interest in working with poultry
· Grade 12 or GED preferred; diploma/degree in agricultural studies would be an asset
· A valid driver’s license
· Livestock husbandry experience an asset
· Strong commitment to health & safety
· Strong attention to detail including keeping accurate and detailed records
· Ability to set priorities
· Mechanical aptitude is an asset
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
· Valid emergency first aid and HACCP training preferred
· Ability to work in an environment that may be hot, humid or dusty
· Living in the area to be available for after-hours calls is an advantage
· Good organizational and communication skills
API offers year-round full time employment, an opportunity to work in the dynamic poultry industry, competitive compensation package which includes family health benefits, EAP and company pension.
All interested applicants are asked to forward a resume to HR@atlanticpoultry.com. API appreciates all interest, however only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Reference ID: Grow Barn Caretaker (NB)